If you haven’t done so already, now is your last opportunity for sowing grass seed. This is a lot cheaper than having the lawn completely re-turfed. Although the effect is not instant and it takes a few weeks to establish, it can be quite fun for the kids to watch the grass seed develop into a thriving lawn.
Waiting until October to sow grass seeds is a good idea as the summer has been and gone and the temperature is perfect for seed germination. So, here are some tips for seeding this month:
- Prepare the ground by raking and loosening the soil. It’s important that you remove any weeds, stones and other waste, digging over the area.
- Firm down the soil by walking over and then rake the area. Repeat this process until you are happy with the level of the land.
- Make sure that the texture of your soil is perfect for seeding. It must be broken up well with a fine, crumbly texture.
- It’s a good idea to add organic matter and fertiliser to the soil to give your seedbed all the nutrition it needs to help your lawn to thrive.
- Sow the seed and then water well, ensuring that you keep off the area. You will see the results almost immediately however you must keep off the grass for 4-5 weeks until the lawn is well established.
Need help with your lawn? Whether it’s laying turf or seeding your lawn, we can help ou out in order to make your garden look fantastic! Give us a call for more information!