Jobs for December
· Order plants of early crops such as cabbages, cauliflowers and lettuces from specialist suppliers for early spring delivery.
· Continue harvesting Brussels Sprouts, Kale, Parsnips and Leeks.
· Dig over bare soil if workable-soil pests are therefore exposed to birds.
· If soil conditions allow, plant fragrant winter shrubs
· Plant deciduous and evergreen trees and shrubs if the ground is not frozen.
· Continue to lift and divide herbaceous perennials, as weather permits.
· Move permanent container plants to a sheltered position.
Pest and disease watch…..
· Clean lichen and moss from paths.
· Spray roses and fruit trees with plant oil-based winter wash.
· Check apple and pear trees for signs of canker and brown rot.
· Examine overwintering ornamental tubers for signs of any rotting.
· Kill red spider mite eggs by cleaning glasshouse and staging.
Keeping everything going through the winter months isn’t always easy; as we don’t always know where to start or what to do. JHPS hope this list of jobs for December helps, if you would like any more information then please contact us on: –
Free Phone: 0800 0937926
Head Office: 01782 396168